In this spicy chowder, red snapper fillets are added to a brothy soup made with clam juice, jalapenos, and aromatics with chunks of russet potatoes.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups clam juice
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound red snapper fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, onion, green pepper, and garlic; saute about 8 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, and cook 1 minute. Add clam juice, potatoes, canned tomatoes with juice, Worcestershire sauce, jalapeno pepper, bay leaf, and ground black pepper. Simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring about every 30 minutes.
Add fish. Simmer until snapper is easily flaked with fork, about 10 minutes.