This beautiful sweet and savory salad is perfect to accompany cold chicken and a loaf of crusty bread.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 dash salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
In a 2-cup microwave-safe bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes; stir until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in oil. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
In a salad bowl, combine the greens, strawberries, oranges, onion, almonds and bacon. Drizzle with dressing; gently toss.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested in an 850-watt microwave.© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.