Ground beef is joined with kidney beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes and green chiles, then seasoned with chili powder, cocoa, cumin and brown sugar in this easy chili.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Cook beef in pan until browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in onions, bell pepper and garlic and cook 5 minutes more.
Stir in kidney beans, pinto beans and tomatoes. Season with brown sugar, cocoa powder, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes. (To make in a slow cooker, simply transfer beef mixture to a slow cooker, stir in remaining ingredients, cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours.)