In this definitive potato soup, vegetables and aromatics are simmered in a highly seasoned milk and chicken broth soup base which is thickened with a roux.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 5 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
In a large stock pot, saute onion, celery, carrots, garlic and parsley in butter until soft but not browned. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add broth slowly, stirring as you add.
Add milk, potatoes, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, allspice, celery seed, thyme, seasoning salt, dry white wine, cayenne pepper and chicken granules. Allow to simmer and thicken, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are cooked through, approximately 25 minutes. During cooking, break up potatoes with the back of a spoon. Serve warm.