Beef stew meat is simmered with tomato juice, mixed vegetables, potatoes and cabbage in this simple beef stew.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/2 pound cubed beef stew meat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 (11.5 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
Toss beef with salt, pepper and flour to coat. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook coated beef in oil, stirring constantly, until well browned on all sides. Pour in broth and tomato juice, and stir in mixed vegetables, potatoes and cabbage. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour, until potatoes are soft and meat is fully cooked.