Rum, molasses, ginger, and allspice mingle in a flavorful marinade and basting sauce for grilled chicken.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup rum
- 3/8 cup dark molasses
- 4 limes, zested and juiced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
Place garlic, onion, habanero peppers, green onions, thyme, allspice, and ginger into the bowl of a food processor; blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a large, non metallic bowl, and stir in rum, molasses, and lime zest and juice. Place chicken in bowl, and turn to coat. Cover, and marinate for 24 hours.
Preheat grill for high heat.
Remove meat from marinade, and thread onto skewers. Boil marinade in a small saucepan for at least 3 minutes.
Brush grate with oil, and arrange skewers on hot grate. Slowly cook the chicken until slightly charred and cooked through, brushing with the marinade every time you turn the meat.
Approximate Grilling Times for Chicken and Poultry