This is a delightful spicy syrup that you can use to spice up coffee, tea, apple cider, you name it, it's all good!
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger root, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into large pieces
- 8 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine water, sugar, and honey. Stir in ginger, cinnamon stick, cloves, allspice, peppercorns, and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes, then strain through a fine mesh sieve, or double layer cheesecloth.
For Chai flavors, you can add 6 green cardamom pods and 2 stars of star anise.