A winter time favorite at our house. We always have it for New Year's Day while we watch football! Serve with a tossed salad and corn bread.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas with liquid
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onion, pepper, and celery until tender. Pour in the chicken broth, and mix in rice, black-eyed peas with liquid, diced tomatoes and green chiles, diced tomatoes, and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes, or until rice is tender. Add water if soup is too thick.