This hearty and healthful chili will be a family favorite and can be prepared in just 15 minutes!
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups canned vegetable juice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup quick-pearled Quaker barley
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
Place oil, onions, green pepper, chili powder, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt in a large (2-3 quart) nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
Add turkey and cook, stirring to break up meat for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add vegetable juice, tomatoes, chicken broth and barley. Increase heat to bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add beans, cover and cook 10 minutes.
Nutrition Notes: High in fiber and a good source of potassium.