A real gourmet chili made with chuck roast and spiked with Marsala wine.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and chopped
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- Hot cooked rice
- Garnish: lime rind strips or cilantro sprigs
SAUTE onion and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven until tender. Add roast and next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
ADD black beans, and cook until thoroughly heated. Serve over rice. Garnish, if desired.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.