This soup tastes just like fresh salsa, one of my favorites! You could add jalapeno or chilies to make it spicy; this version is mild.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the carrots, celery, and onion, and cook 15 minutes. Pour in chicken broth. Mix in diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, black beans, sherry, and garlic. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes. Mix in cilantro during last few minutes of cook time.