This dish is summery and lower in fat than many, yet it's surprisingly filling. It's also simple to prepare and uses common ingredients.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn; drain and reserve liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans; drain and reserve liquid
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, red bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, lemon juice, cilantro, basil, red pepper flakes, corn, and beans. Stir to combine the vegetables, then set aside.
In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil at a medium-low heat. Add onions and saute until they are translucent. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Pour in rice and toss to coat. Add reserved liquid from the corn and beans, along with any additional liquid as directed on the rice box. Cook the rice to package specifications. Let the rice cool slightly.
Combine the rice and vegetable mixture. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.