The recipe for this well loved cake has been altered to reduce the fat content. It uses fat free sweetened condensed milk and an oil substitute. It is not frosted, unlike the traditional cake, but does have a cherry topping.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup oil substitute
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat one 12-cup, fluted tube pan with cooking spray.
Combine flour, cocoa, soda, baking powder, and salt.
In a large bowl, combine condensed milk, oil substitute, brown sugar, eggs, and egg white; mix well. Stir flour mixture into milk mixture just until moistened. Gradually add water. Stir in chips. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and top with cherry filling.