The meaty texture of the Portobello earns this salad star billing with a supporting cast of greens and white Italian kidney beans.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 portobello mushroom caps (about 5 inches wide)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning for steak (such as Chef Paul Prudhomme's Steak Magic)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- cooking spray
- 16 cups gourmet salad greens
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
Combine first 7 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add mushrooms to bag; seal. Marinate 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove mushrooms from bag, reserving marinade.
Sprinkle mushrooms with Cajun seasoning. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms; cook 2 minutes on each side or until very brown. Cool; cut mushrooms diagonally into thin slices.
Arrange 4 cups salad greens on each of 4 plates. Top each with mushroom slices, 2 tomato wedges, and onion rings. Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup beans and 1 tablespoon blue cheese. Drizzle the reserved marinade evenly over salads.
Reprinted with permission of Cooking Light® magazine. All rights reserved.CALORIES 260 (37% from fat); FAT 10.7g (sat 2.4g, mono 5.2g, poly 1.7g); PROTEIN 12.8g; CARB 31.4g; FIBER 7.7g; CHOL 5mg; IRON 5.4mg; SODIUM 669mg; CALC 165mg