This is one of our favorite beef dishes. A hefty meal, it is a real treat after a long winter hike in the woods. The beef will boost your iron stores, and the beans will keep your cholesterol down. This is a free sample recipe of our Quick-Smart™
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground round
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/4 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups low salt strained or pureed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 tablespoon jarred green chili peppers, minced
Brown the meat in a skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes, breaking into small pieces.
At the same time, in a nonstick skillet, saute the celery, onion, and green pepper in the olive oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Combine the cooked meat and vegetables in a large pot. Add the garlic. Mix together the water, chili powder, and cumin and add to the meat mixture. Add both types of canned tomatoes, oregano, and sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir to prevent sticking. Uncover and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
During the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the beans and chili peppers.