This is a recipe I discovered about 25 years ago when grape gelatin was hard to find! It's a terrific side dish or a delicious dessert. It's very rich in flavor and can be made ahead of time. Also good with cherry gelatin and cherry pie filling.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 (3 ounce) packages grape flavored gelatin mix
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (21 ounce) can blueberry pie filling
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large bowl, mix together gelatin powder, boiling water, pineapple and pie filling. Pour into a mold, or glass baking dish, and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.
In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread over the top of the gelatin. If using a mold, unmold the gelatin before applying topping.