This really wonderful sweet custard pie has lots of eggs, milk, cinnamon, cloves and sugar. It bakes up and slices beautifully. Serve plain or with a bowl of sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
Combine the sugars, flour, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a bowl. Add the eggs and yolk one at a time, and mix well. Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Pour filling into the shell.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 45 minutes. When the side of the pan is tapped, the center should still wobble like gelatin. Cool on a rack.