A great hot chili recipe that makes enough for a big group of people. It is made with two kinds of beans and cubed chuck roast.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
SAUTE first 8 ingredients in hot olive oil in a large Dutch oven until meat is browned.
DRAIN and return meat mixture to Dutch oven.
STIR in cocoa and next 13 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 hours.
COMBINE sour cream and next 8 ingredients; chill. Serve with chili. Top with shredded cheese, if desired.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.