A recipe for boiled chicken; boiled chicken meat is called for in many other recipes, and is a wonderful basic recipe to have for many uses.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken
- 1 large onion, halved - unpeeled
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks - unpeeled
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- water to cover
Place chicken in a large pot with onion, carrots, celery and peppercorns; add water to cover. Cover pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle boil and cook for about 90 minutes, or until chicken meat is falling off of the bone. Remove chicken, let cool and shred or chop the meat.