A creamy, spicy meat and tomato filling mixed with rice, and baked into stuffed bell peppers.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/8 cup minced carrots
- 1/8 cup celery
- 6 bell peppers (any color) stems and seeds removed, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound pancetta or lightly smoked bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until tender and fluffy; set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook and stir carrots and celery until tender. Add ground beef and pancetta, and cook until browned and crumbled; drain off any excess liquid, and return to heat. Add marinara sauce, wine, and red pepper flakes, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream, half of the Parmesan cheese, and rice. Simmer 5 minutes more, or until most liquid has absorbed.
Place peppers in a shallow baking dish, and fill with beef mixture. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Serve hot.