A marvelous stew with not only chicken but also beef and pork roast, packed with veggies and loaded with herbs and spices.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 1/2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder roast
- 7 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, whole
- 2 bay leaves
- water to cover
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 potatoes, unpeeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Combine the chicken, beef, pork, water and broth in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add whole cloves of garlic and bay leaves, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
Remove chicken, beef and pork. Strip meats from bones and cut into bite size pieces. Strain stock in pot and add water to yield 8 cups of stock. Return meats to broth.
Heat oil in a medium skillet and saute the onion, carrot, celery and minced garlic for about 5 minutes. Add saute mixture to pot along with the potatoes, beans, tomatoes, salt, rosemary, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes. Stir in the peas, lemon zest and red pepper. Heat through and serve garnished with parsley.