Thinly cut top sirloin rolled with garlic, parsley, salt and pepper, then browned and cooked slowly in an Italian-style tomato sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 pounds top sirloin
- 2 medium heads garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 32 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
Cut sirloin into 6 oblong pieces, 3/16 inch thick. Lay out on waxed paper and sprinkle each piece with garlic, parsley, pepper and salt. Roll up each piece, beginning at the narrow end, and tie tightly with twine.
Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place rolls in pot and brown, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Pour in 1/2 cup of red wine, reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Pour in half of peeled, chopped tomatoes, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Mix together tomato paste and water. Combine with remaining peeled tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce and add to pot in small increments, cooking down slightly after each, for a total of 30 minutes. Sprinkle in anise seed, oregano and sugar and simmer 1 hour more.
Thirty minutes before serving pour in remaining wine and basil. Simmer until ready to serve.