Lamb shanks braised and cooked with potatoes, carrots and onion.
INGREDIENTS (for 7 servings):
- 7 (1 pound) lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- water to cover
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 pounds onions, peeled and diced
- 1 ounce all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces butter, melted
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Brown shanks in oil, about 20 minutes. Add water to cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour.
Add potatoes, carrots and onions and simmer for about 1 hour. In a small bowl blend flour into melted butter to make a roux, then stir this into simmering dish to thicken.