Wonderful Fall smells will emanate from your kitchen when you make these spice-filled bran muffins.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 extra large egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups bran flakes cereal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups wheat bran
- 1 1/4 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly coat muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper muffin liners.
In a medium bowl, beat together oil, applesauce, milk, yogurt, egg, strawberry jam, and vanilla extract.
In a food processor, grind bran flake cereal to a fine powder; this should make about 1 1/4 cups flour. Transfer to a large bowl, and stir together with whole wheat flour, wheat bran, buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, ground ginger, pumpkin pie spice, allspice, and ground nutmeg. Pour in applesauce mixture, and mix thoroughly. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin cups, filling until level with the top of the muffin cups.
Bake in preheated oven 26 to 30 minutes, or until muffins test done with a toothpick. Remove muffins from pan, and cool on wire racks.