Italian seasonings and pizza sauce are used with ground beef and ground pork to make these unusual patties, which are stuffed with pepperoni, olive, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese. Serves 12
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian-style seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups chopped stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 (2 ounce) can chopped black olives, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced pepperoni sausage
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, bread crumbs, eggs, onion, green bell pepper, salt, ground black pepper, Italian-style seasoning, sage, garlic powder, 1/2 cup pizza sauce and stewed tomatoes. Mix well and form into 24 patties using a 1/4 cup measuring cup OR an ice cream scoop.
In a separate small bowl, combine the mushrooms and olives and set aside. Arrange 12 patties on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Place 4 slices of pepperoni on each patty, then a small amount of the mushroom olive mixture, and then a slice of mozzarella cheese. Top each patty off with another patty and pinch the edges all around to seal everything into the middle. Finally, top each with a drizzle of remaining pizza sauce and some shredded mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes.