Italian sausage is sauteed with onion and garlic, then simmered with tomatoes, oregano and basil. A dash of sugar and cayenne pepper adds just the right sweetness and bite to the sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
In a large saucepan over medium heat saute chopped onion and garlic in the oil. Break up sausage into small pieces and brown. Add tomato sauce, ground black pepper, dried oregano, dried basil, chopped tomatoes, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper; stir well. Let simmer uncovered 15 to 30 minutes.