Tomatoes and broccoli brighten this salad with distinctive flavor and eye-catching color.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 large head broccoli, separated into florets
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup tarragon or cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
Cook broccoli in a small amount of water for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water and drain. Place in a large bowl; add tomatoes, mushrooms and onions.
Combine dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-filling lid; shake well. Pour over salad; toss gently. Cover and chill for 1 hour. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutritional Analysis: One 1-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 130 calories, 32 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 8 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 11 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 vegetable.© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.