A scrumptious salad bursting with flavor and textures is tossed with a creamy vinaigrette dressing!
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 2/3 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup low fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup toasted almond slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Place rice and water in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 to 60 minutes.
In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, red wine vinegar, lime juice, honey, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Place bacon in a skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix the rice, dressing mixture, bacon, bell pepper, green onions, peas, almonds, and cilantro. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.