Two kinds of cheeses make this simple bruschetta everyone's favorite. Adjust the quantities of herbs to taste.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 French baguette
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) package sliced provolone cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Slice the baguette into 1/2 inch thick diagonal slices. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Brush both sides of each slice with the olive oil. Place tomato slices and a sprinkling of basil and oregano on the bread slices. Sprinkle the tomatoes, basil and oregano with the garlic powder and white pepper. Cover the tomato slices with slices of the mozzarella and provolone. Place more basil, oregano and tomato slices on top of the cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.