Shallots are the special ingredient in this easy, filling bruschetta. The tomato mixture tastes best when prepared ahead of time and chilled for approximately 1 hour.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 12 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread, cut into 1/2 inch slices
In a large bowl, toss together the roma tomatoes, minced garlic, shallots, basil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and 1/3 cup olive oil.
Place the slivered garlic and 1/4 cup olive oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Slowly cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Discard garlic.
Toast the bread slices, and brush with the olive oil heated with garlic. Top slices with the roma tomato mixture.