A twist on the usual tomato sauce with spicy red chiles and brown sugar.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon crumbled dried red chile pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
In a saucepan, combine olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and red peppers and lightly saute over high heat.
Reduce heat to low and mix in tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir in celery salt, salt and pepper. Start with 1/2 cup of the brown sugar and mix into the sauce. Gradually add brown sugar, depending on acidity of tomatoes. First taste of sauce should be sweet.