Like a pumpkin pie, only with big and beautiful butter beans, this pie is delicious. The beans are cooked, mashed and seasoned with nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Then they 're combined with flour, lots of sugar, a few eggs, butter, and vanilla, and poured
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 cup butter beans
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon half-and-half cream
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
Soak the beans in the water overnight. The next morning, take the hull off beans. Cook until well done in water. Do not add seasoning. Drain; mash beans.
Add sugar, flour, butter, vanilla, eggs and salt. Mix well.
Add cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and cream. Blend together. Pour into a 9 inch unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 45 minutes.