This squash dish is sweetened with sugar and pineapple. Serve as an alternative to sweet potatoes or yams with a turkey dinner.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 cups mashed, cooked butternut squash
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease one 2 quart casserole dish and set aside.
Combine the butternut squash, white sugar, brown sugar, margarine, pineapple, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg. Mix well and pour into casserole dish.
Sprinkle with chopped nuts and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.