If you 're on a restricted diet, this is the Caesar salad for you. Egg replacement does the trick. No one will be the wiser when you toss the crisp romaine with this fabulous dressing.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets, oil reserved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil from anchovies
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons croutons
Wash the lettuce and dry the leaves well. Tear into 1 to 2 inch pieces, and transfer to a salad bowl.
Using a food processor puree or pulverize the garlic. Add the lemon juice, mustard, anchovies, oil, liquid egg, pepper, parmesan cheese, and vinegar and mix well. Just before serving, toss the romaine lettuce with the dressing and top with croutons.