Browned ground beef is added to this bell pepper and corn soup in a spicy tomato broth.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
In a large pot over high heat, combine the water, tomato paste, salt, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, green bell pepper, red bell pepper and corn. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and allow to simmer at a slow boil for 35 minutes.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the oil, onion and garlic and saute for 3 to 5 minutes. Add to the simmering soup. In the same saucepan over medium heat, saute the ground beef for 10 minutes or until well browned, and add to the soup. Stir well and simmer for 10 more minutes.