This highly seasoned kidney bean soup with ham and andouille sausage is served garnished with cooked white rice and chopped green onions.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 ounces sliced andouille sausage
- 1 small smoked ham hock
- 2 cups dry kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
In a large pot over high heat, heat the oil. Add the bacon and saute for 2 minutes. Add the onions, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, sausage and ham hock and saute for 2 more minutes.
Add the beans and saute for 2 more minutes. Stir in the Cajun-style seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Add the salt, cover the pot and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the pot to sit, covered, for about 20 minutes. Discard the ham hock.
Ladle soup into individual bowls. Top each serving with 1/4 cup rice and 1 tablespoon green onion.