Four kinds of beans and two kinds of split peas are cooked with a smoked ham hock, and flavored with dried onion and cumin in this soup, the dry mix for which can also be made in a jar and given as a gift.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- BEAN SOUP MIX
- 1/3 cup yellow split peas
- 1/3 cup green split peas
- 1/3 cup dried lima beans
- 1/3 cup dried pinto beans
- 1/3 cup dry kidney beans
- 1/3 cup dried Great Northern beans
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- OTHER SOUP INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings)
- 8 cups water
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
To make Bean Soup Mix: Combine yellow split peas, green split peas, limas, pinto beans, kidney beans, great Northern beans, onion, bouillon granules, cumin and garlic powder. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
To make soup: Bring Bean Soup Mix and water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Cover, remove from heat, and let sit 1 hour.
Return pot to heat, stir in carrots and celery. Stir in ham hocks, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours, until beans are tender, skimming fat as necessary.
Remove ham hocks from soup. Remove meat from bone, chop and return to soup. Heat through and serve.