A rich and creamy squash casserole with garden favorites yellow and zucchini squashes combined with mushroom soup, water chestnuts, carrots and pimentos, baked in a buttery cracker crust.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups crushed buttery round crackers
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 (4 ounce) jar diced pimento peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large saucepan combine yellow squash, zucchini, onion, green onion, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium heat about 6 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
In a medium bowl combine cracker crumbs and butter. Mix well and spread half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
In a large bowl combine soup, water chestnuts, carrots, mayonnaise, pimentos, sage, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fold in squash mixture and spoon over crumb crust. Sprinkle cheese on top, and then the remaining cracker crumbs.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until firm and heated through.