Fennel, coriander, oregano, and red pepper flavors - from Chef Suzanne Goin of Lucques in Los Angeles, California - add heat and spice to the lamb, while the yogurt cools and refreshes the palate.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Fennel Seed
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Coriander Seed
- 4 shallots, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Mediterranean Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Thyme Leaves
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Parsley Flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Ground Cayenne Red Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- Cumin Yogurt:
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Cumin Seed
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch McCormick® Coarse Grind Black Pepper
Toast fennel and coriander seeds, in a preheated dry skillet over medium heat, about 30 seconds or until aromatic. Remove from skillet. Crush seeds in small bowl or with a mortar and pestle. In same skillet, saute the shallots in the olive oil until translucent and just starting to color. Add the oregano and thyme. Immediately remove from heat and set aside.
Combine remaining spices, salt and lamb in a medium bowl. Mix gently, shape into 6 patties.
Toast cumin seeds, in a preheated, dry skillet over medium heat, about 30 seconds or until aromatic. Remove from skillet. Crush in small bowl or with a mortar and pestle. Combine yogurt with the toasted cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Grill the burgers over medium heat to desired doneness. Serve with grilled sourdough bread or hamburger buns. Top with cumin yogurt.