In this traditional side dish of rural Western India, green bell peppers are sauteed with onions, turmeric, chili powder, mustard seeds, and chickpea flour.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 large onion, cut into 1 1/2 -inch pieces
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Stir in mustard seeds. When mustard seeds begin to crack, stir in onion. Cook 1 minute, then stir in green peppers, turmeric, salt, and chili powder. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in chickpea flour, mixing well; cover, and cook 2 minutes more.