An appetizer, lunch or dinner entree', these egg and cream-based pies boast savory seasonings.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (10 ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust
- cooking spray
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach - thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup Caramelized Onions (about 3 cups uncooked)
- 1/3 cup chopped Canadian bacon
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Shape the dough into a 4-inch circle; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Roll the dough into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray, and flute.
Combine the spinach, sour cream, and shallots in a small bowl. Combine the evaporated milk, salt, pepper, egg whites, and egg in a medium bowl, and stir well with a whisk. Stir 1/3 cup milk mixture into spinach mixture. Spoon the spinach mixture into bottom of prepared crust. Add Caramelized Onions, and top with bacon and cheese. Pour the remaining milk mixture over cheese. Place pie plate on a baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until set. Let quiche stand 10 minutes.
Reprinted with permission of Cooking Light® magazine. All rights reserved.CALORIES 261 (22% from fat); FAT 6.3g (sat 2.3g, mono 2.1g, poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 12.6g; CARB 35g; FIBER 2.7g; CHOL 50mg; IRON 1.5mg; SODIUM 607mg; CALC 244mg