A sweet, tangy, spicy shrimp dish. You can prepare the sauces ahead of time and refrigerate.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups tomato - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup brandy-based orange liqueur (Grand Marnier®)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons chile paste
- 8 ounces rotini pasta
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
In a small bowl, combine garlic, shallots, ginger and oil. In another small bowl, combine green pepper, tomato, curry powder, allspice, chicken stock, Grand Marnier, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, and chile paste. Cover and refrigerate both until ready to use.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Heat a large saute pan over high. When hot, add garlic-oil mixture. Saute until garlic begins to sizzle but has not browned. Stir the tomato mixture, then pour into the saute pan. Bring to a rapid boil and cook until it begins to thicken, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the shrimp, and toss until they become pink, about 2 minutes. Immediately add the pasta. Stir and toss until well combined and pasta is heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings, especially salt.
Transfer to a heated platter and sprinkle on the cilantro. Serve at once.