Plenty of vegetables make this a hearty chowder your whole family will enjoy. To make a meal, add a fresh green salad, a loaf of sourdough bread and Libby's Kern's nectar.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can NESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
COOK bacon in medium saucepan over medium heat until crisp; drain. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat. Return bacon fat to saucepan. Add potatoes, carrot, onion and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
COMBINE evaporated milk and flour in small bowl until blended; add to potato mixture. Stir in clams with juice, milk, water, salt, bacon, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes or until creamy and slightly thick.