Layers of boiled chicken, a creamy soup mixture with red bell pepper, diced tomatoes and green chile peppers and flour tortillas are covered with shredded cheese and baked. Tex-Mex at its best! There are several versions of this, but this is my own ren
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 2 (8 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
- 12 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add chicken and bouillon and boil for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cooked through (no longer pink inside). Reserve 1 cup broth. Remove chicken from pan and dice; set aside.
In a separate large saucepan combine reserved broth, onion, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, bell pepper, diced tomatoes with green chile peppers and beans. Mix together and heat through, stirring often.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a 9x13 inch baking dish layer casserole as follows: 4 torn tortillas, 1/2 of diced chicken, 1/3 of soup mixture, more tortilla strips, remaining diced chicken, 1/3 of soup mixture, more tortilla strips and remaining soup mixture. Cover with cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.