This will settle that Cajun craving. A dark roux is the base for this dish made with fresh tomatoes, bell peppers, and parsley, and seasoned with thyme, bay leaves, and lemon.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 cup enriched white rice
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons brown roux
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 pound tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds catfish fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
Combine rice and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until done.
In a large saucepan, warm roux over medium heat. Stir in onion, green bell pepper, and garlic; cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Season with lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, black pepper, thyme, and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in catfish and parsley. Simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Stir in 2 cups cooked white rice, and season with red pepper flakes. Serve.