An appetizer of revolutionary proportions. Ceviche includes 'raw' fish that is 'cooked' in lime juice, prep time is a bit long but worth it. Shrimp is optional but suggested.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 (6 ounce) fillet orange roughy, or other firm white fish fillet
- 15 limes, juiced
- 1/2 pound cooked shrimp (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- pico de gallo
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
Cut the raw fish into cubes and spread out in the bottom of a lasagna pan. Pour in enough lime juice to cover the fish; cover dish, and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Remove fish from the refrigerator, and mix in shrimp, cilantro, green onions, red onions, avocados, tomatoes, and celery. Stir in pico de gallo to taste, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate for 12 hours.