In this recipe which has been adapted for the microwave, potatoes, carrots and broccoli are combined with milk and processed cheese food in a broth seasoned with dry mustard and black pepper.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 5 cups cubed potatoes
- 2 cups carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 6 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds processed cheese food (eg. Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
In a 4 quart casserole dish combine cubed potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, water and salt. Microwave on high for 15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender.
Stir in broccoli, bouillon cubes, margarine, dry mustard, pepper, and processed cheese. Set aside.
In a small bowl combine the milk and flour and blend until smooth. Slowly add to cheese mixture, stirring until blended. Microwave on medium-high (70 percent) for 20 minutes, or until temperature reaches 160 degrees.