Cream and sharp Cheddar are added to pureed potatoes and the soup is seasoned with dill and cayenne for a creamy, thick meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 3/4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion in butter until softened. Stir in potatoes and broth, bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
Puree potato mixture in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender; return to pot over medium heat. Stir in cream, cheese, dill, pepper, salt and cayenne. Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, 5 minutes.