Serve this casserole with either a fruit or green salad and dinner rolls. The beef mixture could also be used as a filling for burritos.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 pound ground round
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cook first 3 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Add water and next 6 ingredients (water through chiles); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
Combine the rice, sour cream, sliced green onions, and milk in a bowl. Spoon rice mixture into a 9-inch baking dish. Top with beef mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Reprinted with permission of Cooking Light® magazine. All rights reserved.CALORIES 442 (26% from fat); FAT 13g (sat 6.8g, mono 3.g, poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 25.1g; CARB 56.7g; FIBER 3.9g; CHOL 64mg; IRON 5mg; SODIUM 394mg; CALC 290mg