In this great one-dish meal, chicken breast pieces sautee with mushrooms, red peppers, onions. They are then bathed in broth, cream, and sherry; tossed with pasta, Parmesan, and parsley; then baked -- with a secret ingredient, Jarlsberg cheese, melted on
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch strips
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 (8 ounce) package rotelle pasta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in chicken pieces, and cook to brown. Stir in mushrooms, and brown. Add red pepper and green onion, and cook several minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in flour, and cook several minutes, stirring until well blended. Gradually stir in chicken broth, cream, and sherry; cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until just tender, about 8 minutes; drain.
Toss chicken mixture with pasta, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Spoon into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
Bake in a preheated oven for 35 minutes. Remove, top with Jarlsberg cheese, and return to oven; bake until cheese is melted.